Tips to save as much money as possible:
- Shop the sale sections of regular stores or shop at the factory version of your favorite store. Let's look at J. Crew for example. Their three inch chino shorts at the regular store cost $45, but on the factory website, they go for $18.99. Some argue that the factory merchandise is lower quality, but I have not noticed a difference. If you aren't an online shopper and do not have a J. Crew factory store nearby, the regular J. Crew almost always has an excellent sale section worth checking out. Although J. Crew is a great example, this goes for all stores that have a factory version of themselves.
- If you have a college ID, use it for discounts. Here is a full list of all stores that offer discounts for college students. These stores give you 15% off when you flash your college ID at the register: J. Crew/J. Crew Factory, Madewell, Banana Republic, The Limited, Ralph Lauren Rugby, and Kate Spade.
- Shop consignment stores. The other day, I was wandering around downtown when I decided to go into a consignment store. I was shocked to see that they had a whole rack dedicated to gently worn Lilly Pulitzer clothing. None of it was in my size, but they had some really cute dresses for sale in patterns I had never seen before! It's definitely worth a shot to explore consignment stores in your area.
- Try buying off of Ebay, Poshmark, Tradesy, or Re-Lilly. This is a great way to get items for less or to find sold out items for purchase online. The first three are safe as long as you check the seller's feedback first. Also, make sure the item is being shipped from the United States and not China (if it's being shipped from China, there's a good chance the item could be fake). Re-Lilly is a Facebook group designed to help women trade and sell Lilly Pulitzer clothing in new or excellent used condition.
- Look for coupon codes when shopping online through websites like RetailMeNot. Also, keep your eyes peeled on tumblr for company representatives that can offer you their customized discount codes. For example, tumblr user naturallynautical is a representative for both Country Club Prep and Krass and Co., meaning when asked, she can offer you 20% off discount codes for those websites. This is a great way to save on Jack Rogers sandals and other preppy apparel sold on Country Club Prep's website.
Stay tuned for my next post because I'll be talking about how to earn money by cleaning out your closet and selling the things you don't wear anymore!