Post Original Content
This might seem like a no-brainer, but a lot of people stick to reblogging other user's photos instead of posting their own every once in awhile. When posting your original photos, make sure they are high quality and edited in a pleasing manner. I suggest using either AfterLight or VSCOcam to edit photos on the iPhone. Don't flood your followers dashes with original posts either-- stick to posting only your best photos! Also, make sure to tag your photos with relevant tags so people searching for certain things will see them!
Interact With Other Users
This is extremely important for establishing connections with other tumblr users. If you love a person's Tumblr blog, drop them a nice message in their ask box saying so! Although it is nice to do this, I advise against asking Tumblr users directly to follow your blog. Many find it annoying and those messages often get deleted!
Set Yourself (and your blog) Apart From Others
There are a number of ways to do this:
- Change your theme and customize your Tumblr's layout-- do not stick with the boring default theme!
- Set yourself apart from other users by answering questions in a personal tone, as if you're speaking directly with the person that asked the question.
- As I mentioned earlier, post original photos!
Make Your Blog User-Friendly
You can do this by:
- Providing a page link at the top of your Tumblr blog that take users directly to your original posts--tag all of your original posts with a personal tag (such as "myphotos") and then link to this tag (instructions here).
- Linking all of your other social media accounts somewhere on your Tumblr page so users can see where else you post content.
- Having an easy-to-use theme that is a breeze for others to navigate. Also, make sure your text is readable! I have encountered so many blogs that have light colored font on a light background or neon font on a neon background and it gives me a headache.
Don't take Tumblr too seriously, and don't blog just for the followers. If you are your genuine self and you're posting good content while having fun, the followers will come. Blog because you genuinely want to. If you're getting frustrated with it, it's totally okay to take a break!